- Develop small group possession skills.
- Develop tempo and speed of play.
- Become more tolerant to lactic acid accumulation.
- Help players work for longer periods in an anaerobic state.
- 2 Groups of players compete in 5vs2 rondo possession exercise grids. 10x10yrd grids.
- Grid A (Midfielders) – 2x20yrd shuttle
- Grid B (Defenders) – 3x10yrd shuttle
- 1-2 Sets. 3-4 Repetitions of the shuttle course. Followed by 1-1.5min active recovery in the form of small group possession in the grids. Intensity effort for the exercise: Maximum (HR of 170+).
- In the grids players play 5vs2 possession (can be limited to one touch if necessary).
- On the coaches signal (clap, whistle, shout) all players exit the grid and perform the shuttle running course.
- i.e. Group A: sprint out to 20yrs, return to edge of the grid, turn and spring to 40yrds and back. (120yrd Total)
- i.e. Group B: sprint out to 10yrs, return to edge of the grid, turn and sprint to 20yrds and back, then 30rds and return. (120yrd Total)
- Encourage players to be efficient in their running, observing their running technique.
- Ask players to vary the foot they plant on and turn with each repetition.
- Quick ball movement in the grids and quick restarts to maintain tempo.
- Respect work to rest ratios.
- The last two players back to the grid start as the defenders in the 5vs2.
- The last two players back to the grid from the players in possession.
Check below some other awesome drills that can help you with your soccer coaching